View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 08:44 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post
A freight pilot talking about AOA how preposterous, that would be like some doctor talking about aviation.
Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post
What little I remember about light airplanes
Sorry about your straw man. Again, AOA info is essential for freight pilots and transport-category jets and aircraft that go high. It is not essential for GA aircraft. Experts with a great deal of experience flying 172s/182s a lot should be making rules for people that fly 172s and 182s a lot, not freight pilots who remember "little about light airplanes" yet somehow became self-declared experts on aerodynamic theory and human factors. You don't act like fellow engineers (we tend to be data driven) so I'm wondering what your background is?

Originally Posted by Hetman View Post
You can't really tell from an internet message board whether this guy is a good pilot, a good doctor, or both or neither.

What you can tell is that he is a pretty good fisherman.
Please clarify? We all ultimately judge proficiency by events - after 1000 hours if somebody is confident, safe, with no close calls or "incidents" I would deem them a competent pilot. It is telling (worrisome perhaps) that people think that AOA is some sort of "advanced" concept instead of something taught at day 1 (well, maybe day 2) of flight training.

I agree it is hard to tell genius from idiocy on a message board. However, over time it tends to become obvious who is knowledgeable, reasonable and who is a zealot.

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Nicely said FAAST
AOPA had a nice AOA advocacy video too a few weeks ago... sponsored by Aspen Avionics. Had the same information and one-sided advocacy. Take a look if you are a member (under safety videos):

General Aviation's largest, most influential association in the world - AOPA

Install your AOA sensor when you downgrade to a piston single, I don't care! Just don't advocate for nonsensical regulation or tell other pilots what they "need" to fly, or think that it alone will increase safety. Reminds me how some Cirrus pilots "need" a parachute to be safe. Not going to argue that.