Thread: Come back?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 AM
madmax757
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: seated - facing forward

Originally Posted by Saabtrash View Post
I haven't applied to the regionals, yet, because of the pay. I have looked at the DEC programs (CQFO at TSA and PSA's DEC), but those would involve commuting from where I live. And from what everyone is saying on these forums is these aren't even guaranteed.

Currently, I'm locked in where I live. There are regionals with bases in my area and/or a short commute, but I don't want to get caught up in chasing the golden upgrade carrot. One regional may be 1 or 2 years upgarde today, but a year from now, it could be a completely different picture. Been there, done that. I'm currently in the interview mix for a large 135 operator (with an internal rec).

Other than that, I haven't received much interest in other applications. I'm assuming due to lack of recency. I was offered a job with a FedEx feeder (C208- SE turbine PIC!), but declined. In the meantime, I am flying to stay current and IFR proficient. There are a lot of jobs out there, just not in my immediate area. I'm also looking at additional homebasing options, but there are not many.
I came back in April of 2014 after nearly 7 years of not flying. Similar stats 9K hours, a bunch of types but I have a lot of PIC time. Was at a major for 1 year 2000-2001. Got a medical and filled out airline apps. Had 4 regional interviews scheduled within a week. Was at CPZ for 9 months and got on with a LCC. Most likely where I will stay due to my age and growth there.
The training was fine and I did very well even without touching a plane for that long.

In other words - If you are thinking about coming back - And can afford it - NOW IS THE TIME !!!! I was paying attention to these web boards and the "shortage" and it is true. When I was hired by CPZ you had to find your own place for training and sign a contract. In only a little over a year - No training contract, 10K bonus, and they put you up in training. If you don't have an ATP they pay for that ATP CPT course.

The only thing that sucks is the pay. If you can afford to do it, then go for it but don't keep waiting!!!

Fill out the apps and get interviews - then make the decision when you have offers.

Good luck with your decision - keep the board posted.