View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 03:50 AM
Flyinhigh
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Retired
Default Tricare Standard Deductible For FY 2016

A few months ago we were having a discussion on this site about the Tricare Deductible and how it is computed when other health insurance is primary. My wife has FedEx Retiree High Deductible as her primary and Tricare Standard as secondary. For the FY beginning on October 1, 2015, she has had $375.40 in billed pharmacy prescriptions (nothing like living in the South when you have allergies). Anthem Blue Cross paid about $75 and said we were on the hook for the balance of $300. However, since our pharmacy accepts Tricare, we ended up paying only $37.71 out of pocket. Good deal for us!!
Now here is where it gets interesting. Tricare says we have met the $150 individual deductible for this Fiscal Year based on the pharmacy charges for the last month. I am not going to argue with them, but I would sure like to know how they figure we got to the $150 deductible when our other health insurance only paid $75 and we only paid $37.71.
I tried to talk to someone about this just so I could understand it. We used to get a pharmacy summary from Tricare every quarter but back in May they stopped this. The person I talked with didn't really understand how they arrived at my deductible amount either but they did say I could get the summary via email if I requested it. No email so far, but I am sure it will be here any day.