View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 09:05 AM
flynavyj
Gets EVERY weekend off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: SIC

Originally Posted by madmax757 View Post
Hey Greenleaf,

No I asked at the interview at CPZ when they hired me if they recommend getting current in a single engine etc. The interviewer said they had a couple pilots in my situation and they did fine.

I was pretty excited to come back and took the training very seriously. I did a lot better than current pilots coming from flight instructing / piston - my sim partner did fly the 175 at Republic so that helped. You fly the plane 95% on the autopilot.

If you have a couple thousand hours in a jet transport, you'll be fine.

Good luck!
I second this - if you spend your ground school studying and not expecting to just "waltz" through it you'll be absolutely fine.

I had been out for six years when I hopped back into a jet in August. Kept my head down and studied, read every night, got familiar with the cockpit layout (as best I could) and chair flew approaches. Was thanked by my ground school instructor for putting in the effort (he was worried since I'd been out for six years) and my sim partner (flight safety FO) thought I handled the plane remarkably well.

I will say, I found the Lear to be significantly easier to handle than the Embraer 145. Plenty of power to climb, and the delta fins really assist during V1 cuts.

I was nervous going through training, but learned from experience that it was completely unwarranted.