Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Turbosina
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Guppy Gear Slinger

One thing that drives me nuts is that you can't even pay people to take your trips, because even if they want to, every lineholder has 95+ hours assigned by PBS. I can't count the number of times a guy has tried to pick up one of my trips and failed, since that'd put him over a block time limit.

Can't drop. Can't trade. Can't pick up. Can't pay a guy to take your trip. Oh, and get ready for PBS to award you trips you bid for, then take them away from you and give them to juniors so that it can meet the monthly minimum line requirement (this month was 88 hrs, I got 95).

From the company's perspective, of course, it makes perfect sense. Load up every lineholder with maximum hours. Keep reserves to a minimum. If you do happen to have enough reserves, artificially inflate the 'min reserve staffing' number so nobody can drop a trip. Do this well enough and long enough, and you'll earn those executive bonuses. And why change that strategy? Until pilots leave in droves because of these policies, there's no reason whatsoever for management to change its game. And judging by the stream of new hires, OO does not appear to be facing anything resembling a pilot shortage.