View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 06:16 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post

Depends. I think the formula and the recipients in 2006 was exactly the same as 2015. Don't remember much about our bridge bonus and I am much to lazy to look it up. Now is it relevant that the 2006 payout matches the 2015 payout, probably if you are trying to dispute it. Wouldn't you say?

If the 2006 payout matched the 2015 payout, it might be relevant. It matched in some ways; in some ways, it did not. It was a "lump sum signing bonus" -- different terminology. It considered the entire amendable period, June 1, 2004 through DOS, October 31, 2006 - 29 months. Active pilots received cash, pensionable, dues-able, and eligible for B-Plan contributions. Pilots on military leave were treated as if they were active. Retired pilots received a prorated bonus in the form of an HRA contribution. The amounts of the individual bonuses were based on the highest crew status in which he was active during the amendable period. This included the time after the TA was reached, the time required for ratification, and the time up until "DOS." Many pilots, myself included, upgraded during the period between TA and DOS.

The 2011 "bonus" was 1% of CY2010 Pensionable Wages, capped at $2,600 bonus. It was a lump sum, it was treated as pensionable wages (ALPA dues-able), and eligible for B-Plan contributions.

Here's the biggest difference. In 2006, there was no dispute process to challenge the methodology of the distribution. Since then, pilots sued ALPA for distributions they believed were unfair. ALPA has since created the dispute resolution process. It's not a "take it or leave it" situation anymore, or a case where a pilot would have to commit to a major undertaking to engage in a lawsuit. There is, in a Festivus sort of way, a described avenue for the "airing of grievances" that anyone can easily access.