View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 08:49 PM
cdub
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by NYBE20 View Post
Hey everyone. I'm new to the boards. Quick run down on me.... I flew 135 then on to the regionals and now I am in my 5th year as a full time Police Officer. My goal 5 years ago was simple, have a steady career as a police officer and return in 20 years at age 45. Collect a tax free pension with incredible medical benefits and return flying knowing that I had a stable financial background to support the up's and down's. I am happy with my job, but at the end of the day it is just that.... a job. I'm compensated well with overtime and have a strong union contract that supports me and my profession. However, looking back at my decision to leave aviation only to return later feels a little less realistic everyday. My currency of flying dwindles more and more every year. I keep my CFI certificate's unexpired but really do not have as much free time as I thought I would to fly. Sometimes I wish I did because it would be a nice escape from the busy city that I work in. If someone were to offer me a job right now back flying it would be hard to turn down. But since that won't happen my plan is to stay the course, finish out the next 15 years happy and safe, and hopefully get back into the saddle someday. If anyone has any law enforcement specific questions about the transition from flying to policing I'm more than happy to help.
I don't think any agency has a tax free pension.