View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 06:18 PM
IQuitEagle
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: B757F CA

Originally Posted by Max Glide View Post
Enrique, well, may be your ‘check’ wasn’t good enough. If you’re not from the US, you’re NOT American!

Try telling a European/Asian/Australian, etc. (you get my drift) that you’re American and then present your Mexican or other country-of-origin passport from South America and see them laugh at you!
Because you’re NOT ‘American’ if you’re FROM South America, Mexico, or Canada.

If you’re from South America, then you’re a South American. Now I see ‘chip-on-the-shoulder’ issue with lots of Mexicans and other South Americans who take up the issue and want to be known as ‘Americans’. First, the convention is that we do not normally associate ourselves as belonging to a certain continent. Normally everyone is ‘from somewhere’ as if from a certain ‘country’; like, Sweden, Germany, etc.

I remember debating with my Mexican friend in college who was all up in arms and wanted to be ‘known’ and ‘accepted’ as American when he was actually living in the US as a foreign student. It was a sensitive issue for him. Over the years, I see that same thing with people of Mexican and South American origin. NO, YOU’RE NOT American.

Now, if you pay attention you’d notice that United Sates is a short term we use for United States of America. I won’t go in to a long lecture about historical, geographical, and cultural issues, but the United States are the unified ‘states’ of the then Continent of America that declared independence and became a country which happened to be located in North America. And the citizens, or people of the US, are commonly accepted, all over the world – perhaps not in Mexico or South America – as, well, ‘Americans’.

(Why is it that I have NEVER heard a Canadian tell me that they are ‘Americans’? Why is that only folks from Mexico or South America insist on being labeled as ‘American’?)

Happy to help!
What is needed here is a bit of cultural and language perspective, on both sides.

It isn't about South Americans "wanting" to be "American" or what have you. It is about the fact that in many nations in South America, the term "American" simply refers to a person from the continent of both North and South America. Just as we use the term "European" to refer to anyone from any country from that continent. It's as simple as that.

Equally, it isn't about people from the USA trying to proclaim to be THE residents of the American continents. It is simply the term that we use. Since much before the start of US hegemony.

So, relax, people.