View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Phteven
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: A321 - 39E

Well, I would start by suggesting you pick up a new hobby! Biking? Woodworking? Golf? There is always something else to do than work!

As a stranger on the internet I do feel fully qualified to make major life decisions for you, so if I were you here are some things I would think about:

1. Where do you want to be long-term? UAL, DAL, AA? Something else entirely or something specific? For example, if you want to live in Dallas, you probably want to work for American, which means you would probably want to consider one of their WO regionals for the flow since OTS jobs there seem sparse. Flows and guaranteed interviews aren't magical golden eggs, but it may matter if you have a target airline in mind.

2. Stability of the regional you go to. This gets downplayed because everyone hopes they'll be at the regionals for such a short amount of time it doesn't matter. Well, back in 2007 they were hiring like crazy and everyone was talking about the retirement boom...a major recession and change in retirement age that ****ed over all the young guys later and now many of those people that thought they would be in and out have been at their regional for 8 years. There are no guarantees, but go somewhere you could survive staying at if things go to ****.

3. Don't choose solely based on upgrades. There are a few places to avoid but on the most part, upgrade times are going down fast everywhere. If you have the full 1,000 hours to build before you can upgrade anyway, don't think it'll make a difference going somewhere where the current upgrade time is 6 months if there is a better option that upgrades in 1.5-2 years.

I'm at Horizon but the environment here is completely different now from when I started. I don't think I would come here right now as a new hire and even at that I largely did because of the bases (which sound like a non-factor for you).

I am not biased towards any of these options but if I were ready to move anywhere and wanted to find the best balance of job quality to opportunity to progress and leave, I would look at Compass or Piedmont the most. Piedmont seems to be better than PSA while still having a reasonably short enough upgrade that your options outside of AA are not affected like they might be at Envoy since their upgrade is long. I have probably awoken the three jealous stepchildren of American by saying that, but so be it - just one guys opinion. Anyway, maybe CommutAir with the new contract in the works. I'd keep Skywest and Horizon in mind (wouldn't pull the trigger on Horizon until this jet thing is sorted out) and avoid Republic and ExpressJet. Don't get suckered in by the $40 an hour, just polish on a turd.

Well, now that I have name-dropped several regionals here comes all the hate! And in all seriousness, think it through for yourself and don't put yourself through undue misery so you can upgrade a few months sooner. Go somewhere you could handle if the plan falls apart and you end up there for a while.

Oh, and don't commute. Commuting sucks.