View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 04:46 PM
dmac25
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2015
Default Best way to Build hours?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first thread. I hope I can get some good advice from you all and I appreciate your feedback.

I got my private pilot certificate in high school for free from a trade school program. I went to college and I will be graduating in under a year with a degree in civil engineering with a 55,000 dollar a year job lined up for when I graduate. I've tried twice to get an instrument rating while in college but between engineering classes and Cessna's online IFR training course the stress was too much so I put off flying until after graduation. I have done several internships and will have almost 10,000 in the bank when I graduate from working over the summers, as well as NO STUDENT debt.

I really want to be a pilot and its always been my dream. I cant stand engineering (although I'm good it, with a 3.7 GPA) and I am not happy about the job I will have when graduating. I will be 22 when I graduate. From reading aviation forums it seems like the big hiring for the airlines is starting and will continue for a while.

My question is this. I will be able to buy a Cessna 150/152 for around 20,000 (I can live at home to save on rent and food) with around 500-800 hours on the engine. Would it be worth it to fly the crap out of it to get near that 1500 hour minimum for the ATP, or should I use the money I have saved along with my salary to get my ratings and become a CFI?

Sorry about the lengthy self description but I want anyones input to be based on the full understanding of my situation. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks