Old 11-27-2015, 10:28 AM
newKnow
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 765-A
Default That Survey Was Bad: DALPA Needs our Help.

After being ignored on the last one, I said I would never fill out another survey. But, after all the pleas for maximum participation, I decided to complete this new one. After going through it, all I can say is, "Really?"

Is it just me, or did the survey seem to only ask a these few questions in different ways:

1.) Do you know your current contract?

2.) Do you know what was in the failed TA?

3.) You know management wants things, so how much are you willing to give up to make them happy? (Sick leave, profit sharing, productivity (FO/LCA flying), Scope (76 seat flying and JV provisions.)

4.) How much shall we pay you to give these things in #3 up?

5.) How do you think we are doing?

After going through the thing, I feel like Don Corleone in the opening scene of the Godfather after the undertaker asked, "How much shall I pay you?"

DALPA. DALPA. What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully?

This isn't about pay.

While I appreciate the confirmation that the company wants concessions in sick leave, profit sharing, scope, and productivity, I don't appreciate the format of the survey which seems to suggest that only way to find common ground in negotiations is to somehow increase pay just enough so that concessions in those areas become acceptable.

Just like the first one, any TA based on that premise will fail.

What happened to thinking outside of the box? Sure, the company has "goals." I don't mind finding ways to help them achieve their "goals." But, my feeling is that sick leave and medical release thresholds, FO/LCA flying, and scope will not be bought for any price and I suspect the rest of the pilot group feels the same.

When the company asks for these things, there is an underlying reason. They want us to work more. They want us to be more productive. They want to be able to staff the airline better.

Surely, we can help them with this, without having to accept any of the above items. All we have to do is be creative. Unfortunately, the survey doesn't allow a lot of space for creativity. (1500 words here and there is not enough, especially when the question isn't even asked.)

Because the survey is so poorly designed, I believe we must submit our own ideas to the union. Email is fine, but maybe forums like this will work, too. After the last TA, we know what we say here is being watched.

I'm not one for negotiating in public, but anything would be better than having them present us with a new TA based on that survey.

I've got a few ideas that I will email to my reps. But, I would like to bounce them around here first. If any of you have any, I think it would be good idea if you do the same.