View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 04:39 PM
chrisreedrules
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: CRJ FO

Originally Posted by word302 View Post
Wow really? He lives in CA. I wouldn't consider anyone but Skywest or Compass. There are a lot of Compass guys saying Skywest now that things have slowed down.

Flows are a joke. Republic is a complete mess. Skywest training is not that difficult. Yes there are failures, but mostly because they are hiring anyone who walks in the door. I have gone through both CRJ and ERJ training. Both are great programs.

I have been at Skywest about 18 months. I have moved up 500 numbers and have over 1000 below me. We seem to be the only company taking on more flying while everyone else is struggling to keep what they have.
I think it's a little disingenuous to say that flows are a joke... I would argue with you that it is yet to be seen if flow-up programs that many wholly-owned airlines have in place will work long-term. But at the current metrics, if you don't work for PSA, PDT, or Envoy, you can kiss working for AA goodbye. That leaves UA and Delta. And Delta statistically hires more ex-mil than almost any other.

That being said, I do not know that any of the above mentioned airlines would be a good fit for the OP unless he wants to endure a hellish commute to an east coast base. I don't think Envoy is a terrible choice, I just don't think the movement they are advertising will happen the way they say it will, so go in with both eyes open if that is what the OP chooses.

The quick upgrade has ended at Compass from what I understand, and I don't really know anyone there to ask. SkyWest I've heard is a good airline to work for, but movement is still slow and the OP would be at the back of the big hiring wave. I wouldn't go to Mesa either. Low pay and hiring wave ending there as well.

I think whoever said Republic as an option is delusional. RAH (again, in my opinion) would be a gamble right now at best. It is widely known that they apparently can't afford the new contract's pay scale long term and there have been rumors that mainline isn't willing to renegotiate. I think RAH will go through a restructuring (read: bankruptcy) period to shed its 50 seat flying and to renegotiate. Lots of turmoil there and a relatively stagnant seniority list.

If I lived in California, I'd probably fly for SkyWest. They are a big company and will likely be able to weather the coming storm the next few years will bring. It's kind of a bummer for west coast pilots, not nearly as many opportunities as on the east coast.