View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 09:38 AM
tinman1
sippin' dat koolaid

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: gear slinger

Originally Posted by chrisreedrules View Post
As for flows, they aren't a good reason in and of themselves to go to an airline. They do provide some continuous movement as guys off the top leave, generating upgrade opportunities for those less senior. But I wouldn't come to a regional based solely on that. The fact is that anyone coming to one of the AAG wholly-owneds is looking at 6-10 years to flow. And so much will change between now and then, who knows if the flows will even still exist.
I agree with the above statement, but there are many going to WOs just to get a piece of that flow action. The main problem with a flow is that it eliminates the screening process at the supposed height of one's professional career, and you have characters who would be otherwise not hire-able slip through the cracks. Whether it be due to qualifications (i.e. no college degree), skeletons in the closet, or odd personalities that don't jive well with others, these types are now going to be sitting in ground school at AA alongside street hires with very impressive resumes.

I'm not knocking the WOs. I've got friends at all three who are great pilots and would end up at the majors regardless of flow, but I also know guys/gals employed at the WOs who would not have a snowballs chance in hell of getting hired at the legacy carriers unless the standards are greatly reduced. And American is doing just that by inviting in whoever ENY, PDT, and PSA can scrape up at the current regional hiring standards.