Thread: First 121 IOE
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 AM
CloudShredder
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: Canadian Alluminum Tubing Assistant Transporter

Originally Posted by Erich518 View Post
Always pulled wing low in the E175 as well, never had an issue and flight safety taught it to me that way. I think 15* bank is when the book said you'd start scraping metal. Got to the CRJ and the sim instructor had a fit when I tried to land it wing low. I think it depends on the amount of wing sweep as the CRJ sweeps more than the 175, idk what the wing sweep in the 145 is but it looks fairly shallow.
It has to do with ground clearance... The CRJ's wing is much lower to the ground. The 700/900 you can get away with a LITTLE wing dip, but the 200 you can't really at all... They say over 5 degrees bank you risk a wing strike. I could land Citabrias and Skyhawks all day long with a 20 knot crosswind. Now put me in the CRJ-200, and it's a bit of a challenge timing it right to kick it straight right before touch down using ailerons to keep the wings level and prevent any side load.

My IOE was a lot of fun. The LCAs I flew with were very laid back and helpful. I had found my way from holding on to the tail to the back row of seats by the end of the first day. The biggest challenge was doing all my training in the 200, and doing IOE on the 700. The 700 lands very different. Fortunately though the 700 legs were long enough to have some chat in cruise, ask my LCA a bunch of questions, and get caught up with the plane. By the 3rd day of IOE the Captain was having me
fly all the legs I wanted. I hand flew a lot on departure and arrival. I still do hand fly a ton. It's a valuable skill to keep sharp.

After IOE, I was fortunate enough to already be awarded a base with a very senior captain group. These captains were and have been great mentors during my first year in the 121 world.