Thread: First 121 IOE
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 09:32 AM
M20EPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by CloudShredder View Post
It has to do with ground clearance... The CRJ's wing is much lower to the ground. The 700/900 you can get away with a LITTLE wing dip, but the 200 you can't really at all... They say over 5 degrees bank you risk a wing strike. I could land Citabrias and Skyhawks all day long with a 20 knot crosswind. Now put me in the CRJ-200, and it's a bit of a challenge timing it right to kick it straight right before touch down using ailerons to keep the wings level and prevent any side load.

Flying the RJ now and I see a lot of fear over the crosswind wing scrape... but the training folks say that the problem is striking the DOWNWIND wing after landing and that significant upwind aileron has to be added on touchdown. After flying the airplane a while I see where this issue comes from: People are afraid to put in a little bank angle into the wind on touchdown. They end up touching down with some wind drift, which induces a downwind rolling moment as the airplane straightens itself....land it like normal: straighten it out, and add a little upwind aileron to prevent drift, and its a non-issue. Its as if the fear of the wing scrape thus increases the risk of a wing scrape. Bizarre.