Thread: First 121 IOE
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 03:49 PM
seminolepilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by CloudShredder View Post
Yeah the other side of it, is that guys put in too much aileron when kicking it straight and the upwind wing starts to head for the pavement, they react too harshly and take out too much aileron and therein lies the problem as well of the downwind wing being scrapped. OR they kick it straight and don't put in enough aileron and the downwind wing strikes as you are saying. You just gotta get a feel for it and fly the plane. It's a lot of fun once you figure out the control pressures and can truly feel the plane.
I'm new to the CRJ specifically the 200, and you've summed up my landings and gave me something to think about. The sim is definitely a bit different from the real airplane and I find myself being scared to put the little bank angle needed right before we touch down just because I don't want to scrape the wing. Today for example, everything looked great, 30ft started rounding out and kicked the left rudder in to straighten it out, but didn't have enough opposite aileron in and she wanted to roll to the left right before we touched down. I'm guessing it's something that comes with time maybe and having a good technique.

As far as my IOE I finished up early last month. I'm pretty sure I gave my first captain the blues. I kept up with the plane but I was nervous and not too confident , not to mention being tired from commuting in on a redeye (stupid mistake) but I made it. Second day We started at 0630 and didn't get done til 1830. I was definitely fatigued on the last leg and zoned out. The captain was definitely good and liked to do a lot of small detailed things. He was an ex Pinnacle guy. My second IOE captain was an ex XJ guy, He was also very good and showed me some tricks when it came to certain things rather than using mental math, at that point I was starting to get more relaxed but still nervous, but finally understood all the ques when it came to the ACARS, getting weather, etc. We worked on landing which i'm glad we did, I got comfortable enough to stop worrying about how fast we we're going coming over the numbers and that stopped me from focusing on one spot on the runway, and got me to start looking further down to stay on centerline vs me looking at one spot on the runway. Overall it was a good experience and i'm happy my first IOE captain was a bit hard on me, molded me in those two days and taught me a lot.