View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM
SonnyD
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: ONT f/o

"The real issue is the new hire manager (Captain) who tries to come down on you and they probably haven't even consolidated yet. What do they know about our operations."

I respect that that's your top issue, but my top issue is different.

My issue is simply one of dollars in my pocket. All Brown flying, scheduled or otherwise, should be performed by the class and craft represented by the IPA. No seniority number, no fly. UPS is (now) free to outsource our jobs, and enjoys the economic benefits of doing so, at our expense.

The company is certainly free to hire any bozo they desire to attempt to adequately supervise me, I really don't care. Their flight-rated supervisor may have 230 total hours, all piston, and it still doesn't change the reality of my job. Sure, I may not like that the manager has no idea what he's talking about, but that doesn't affect my career value, which personally I define as my ratio of dollars earned to time away. What does alter the reality of my job is slower career advancement due to UPS having unfettered access to 160+ managers, when the alternative would certainly be adequate staffing.

TrahHauler1 characterized the majority of mangers as untrustworthy scabs. Well, OK, let's pretend they are. Our choice is to have untrustworthy scabs on our seniority list, or untrustworthy scabs off our seniority list. We aren't gaining anything by having them off. In fact, we are worse off, as far as career earnings and quality of life (all seniority-related) with the nearly unlimited productivity of their indentured managers.

Are they untrustworthy scabs? Maybe so, maybe no. Wouldn't you want them to at least have the option of honoring a picket line? Who knows, maybe 2 or 22 or 122 of them would choose to honor one? If it's just one, I'm better off with them on our list.

Does anybody think manager on our seniority be more likely than the average IPA bear to vote in any POS future TA? Not if their take home spelled out in the TA they're voting on.