View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 04:56 AM
harpilot
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Default PhD Aerospace Engineering to Air Force

Hello All,

I appreciate the insight on this website. Unlike other sources, there is mostly sophisticated discussion by professionals, without the usage of childish language or insults. For this reason, I decided to just join recently to benefit from the wealth of experience that all of you posses in aviation.

In essence, I am about to begin undergrad next year. I have been thinking about eventually becoming a USAF Pilot. I have no intention to join the US Air Force Academy, or enlist in the Air Force. Additionally, although I am thin, I don't have much physical strength, and can hardly run a mile or lift any weights. I have no muscles either, so basically just an average guy.

I am thinking about studying Aerospace Engineering, with the eventual goal of attaining a PhD in Aerospace Engineering. After which, I would like to try to join the Air Force and fly a C-130 or F-16 maybe. I know this sounds like an immature post, but I wanted to know if a PhD is an advantage, and how to join thereafter. I know that to become an astronaut, a PhD is highly recommended. So for becoming a pilot in the AF, it could really help i'm guessing. I would definitely work on my fitness over the upcoming years, and see what goes forward. I'm hesitant to join AFROTC due to the commitment, and would like to finish my PhD first. I have done internships in various labs and am committed to getting a PhD, just due to my desire to attain the highest degree I can and distinguish myself, while still pursuing a passion for research.

Any input?

Thanks guys.