View Single Post
Old 12-11-2015, 06:11 AM
WARich
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: Babysitter

Originally Posted by FlyingBulldog View Post
I'm currently in UPT (around 75% done), and wanting to do a little GA flying over the Christmas break. My last FAA rating (instrument) was over 24 months ago by now, and I'm curious whether I need to do a flight review first with a CFI or not.

§61.56 Flight review.

(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed any of the following need not accomplish the flight review required by this section:

(1) A pilot proficiency check or practical test conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege.

(2) A practical test conducted by an examiner for the issuance of a flight instructor certificate, an additional rating on a flight instructor certificate, renewal of a flight instructor certificate, or reinstatement of a flight instructor certificate.

I'm thinking number 1 will apply to me since I've passed four UPT checkrides so far. The FAR does not specifically say it must be a Form 8. They were all practical tests conducted by a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot rating.

Just looking for a sanity check/advice from some more experienced guys on here. Thanks.
I would say only form 8 count. My guess. UPT checks aren't really check rides for the FAA. They're really just ways to wash you out during training. But I could be totally incorrect.