View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 11:51 AM
APC225
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by rp2pilot View Post
Not the answer you're looking for, but it actually is a great way to run an airline.. Use short calls to maintain schedule integrity during an adverse weather event rather than misconnect thousands of passengers. The alternative, stranding thousands around the system during Christmas travel season and taking 4 days to dig out from the hole.

As I said, not the answer that any reserve wants to hear, but I think it's a prudent measure.
I don't think most reserves have a problem with SCs. But many have a problem with the irregular and unpredictable and sometimes irrational build of SCs, sometimes clearly at the whim or ignorance or possibly even emotion of a scheduler. There needs to be a published logic and a transparency in the process. And more money, not simply to transfer more money to pilots, but to create a system whereby they are forced to weigh the monetary cost of assigning a SC against the ambient value of needing one assigned. Right now, the cost is clearly too low. An hour of add pay for every assigned SC, used or not, would be a start.