View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 08:32 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by BoxedinIowa View Post

Not so much for the initial, but I think every examiner/inspector/DPE/etc wants to see that you have a couple different ways to reach a student -- Pictures, written explanations (out of your sources), and verbal.
If you can do that, and make good landings on the flight portion, you're golden.
Well, one way to say it is that "telling isn't teaching". Teaching requires engagement, methods, active participation, etc. If someone sits there and tries to impress me by telling me a whole bunch, it's not going to make me think they can teach. Likewise, if someone impresses me with teaching but has no substance, they may not know anything. It's a balance and most examiners/inspectors/DPEs aren't expecting some sort of mind-blowing teaching experience due to the limited experience of the applicant, but as a general rule, I'd always go back to "telling isn't teaching". When you get down the road and the only reason you know something is because you were "told", all sorts of bad stuff happens. If you looked it up, experimented with it, proved it, experienced it, participated in it, etc., you are far more likely to have a solid foundation for your knowledge.