View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 05:35 AM
Herkflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left seat of a little plane

A 4 hour two day would have been a deadhead out and deadhead back. Not a likely trip.
Negative ghostrider. I am talking reserves here, not regular lineholders. A reserve got the Duty Rig, Trip Rig, and Duty Period Minimum (only 2 hrs a day). But until the FAR 117 LOA, he never got the Variable Minimum/Duty Period Average that the regular lineholders got.

So take a 2-day trip, ATL-MCO/layover/MCO-ATL end of trip. That would have paid a regular guy 10.30 but a reserve four. Add a DH-only duty period on either end, and even the regular guy would have only gotten 7.15 (and just 7 hours several years ago when we had VM). Now they both get 10.30. Extreme example? Perhaps, but not in my fleet (717). These types of trips are quite common, which is why perhaps I appreciate the DPA rules and reserve pay features of them so much (I often bid reserve on purpose).

Now a GS was no credit. But a flying day was 5.15 per day equal to reg pay. That's why so many of the regular and reserve rotation credits were equal. Even with a deadhead leg mid trip it paid the same, im looking at one right now. So I don't know how you could get 90 hours today equaled 75 then for the same flying when on reserve

You may not realize it but you are making my point. NOW reserves get the same pay as regular lineholders. Try to find a bid package from a few years ago and you will see significant differences. The reason it is so much better is because DALPA negotiated it that way with the FAR 117 SLOA. I just want guys to acknowledge the improvements we have secured, and the same time DALPA better understand that they deserve the criticism for all the TA15 bad stuff.

As to the poor 90 hour reserve pilot, that was not a good deal. If a reserve flew 3 4-days they would have 63 hours. On a month with a 75 hour ALV, that reserve pilot couldn't fly a typical domestic 3 day or longer trip from that point. If they needed it covered break up the trip or get more people.

Today, that pilot could fly a 5 day trip. Win. For scheduling. Not staffing.
True...however, while I was not happy with the ability to schedule a reserve to ALV+15, we must acknowledge that in any month where you have vacation, training, etc, you also have your own "personal" reserve guarantee, which may be quite a bit lower than if you were on reserve the entire month. So prior to that, yes a reserve could not be scheduled to exceed the ALV, but he could be scheduled to fly all the way up to it, NOT counting any vacation time he had.

While that does not completely "override" the ability of scheduling to assign to ALV+15, it is better than nothing.