View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 05:14 AM
fdxflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: unskilled laborer

Originally Posted by BrownGirls YUM View Post
It's a mistake for the company to not make commutable lines in HKG just for the sake of making them non-commutable.

I can understand their desire to keep the folks close at hand, but this is ridiculous. Half of Subic lines are flat-out commutable and a handful of others can be easily made to work for a good bit of time off, yet I don't even have to take off my shoes to count the number of true commuters in Subic.

Why? Take a look at the map. It's a TOUGH commute, but a very few hearty souls do it. So what? Has there been a trend of any significant trouble with this?

Now, something to consider is that people who are out in Asia, halfway around the world from their relatives and friends, want to get back from time to time. That's what vacation is for, you'll tell me. Sure, but wouldn't it be nice to spend a little more time back home after you've spent two days getting there? Commutable lines help that. Wouldn't it be nice to make a few weddings, football games, reunions, etc. without having to plan it out the previous year for vacation bidding?

My point is this, if they make the lines look so junky that you can't even get out of Asia unless you are on vacation, it's going to make the domicile look that much more unattractive (as if they needed a lot of help in that area).

Also, the more they cram the flying together, the less time folks will have to spend doing GT from HKG to CAN. The GT alone will be enough to scare away a lot of otherwise interested takers in this domicile. Minimize it, make the lines attractive and have a decent letter of agreement and they will come.
Keep tallying up the negatives and, well, there's always STV...

To paraphrase a real nice Captain.... "I'm trying really hard to see enough good in HKG to bid the thing as it stands now, but it just doesn't look like that's going to be possible".
BGY -
Thumbs up for a very informative post. OF course, it is dependent on the RUMORS of what the lines may look like. People without special skills don't need to see what their schedule could be I suppose.