Old 12-24-2015, 06:18 AM
Gypsy Pilot
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: 320 Left
Default S

Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
My advice would be to get a college degree in something other than aviation. Something with teeth in the real working world. You never know when your flying career will be derailed. Can't get a medical, strike, airline goes out of business, etc.. You need a fall back plan, even if it is temporary. Additionally, that fall back plan can help pay the bills in the beginning of your airline career when you make peanuts.
I'll caveate this a bit. I wholeheartedly agree that you need to have a back up career path. This alternate path can certainly be aviation oriented, my alternate schooling is as an A&P, additionally my CFI has opened up opportunities outside of full time flying as well (my maintenance certifications helped me land almost every job I had before an airline). I am not recommending this specifically, just providing additional perspective.
First Class brings up an excellent point...Flight Physicals. I cannot stress this enough. As someone who has been through medical procedures that grounded me as an active pilot as well as dealing with the special issuance process, I strongly recommend that you make absolutely sure that you are medically qualified for a career path in aviation before pulling the trigger and spending tens of thousands of your (or your parents) dollars.

All the best in your career choices,

GP