Old 12-24-2015, 06:55 AM
Sliceback
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Take a couple of lessons. Sometimes reality is different than perception. My first lesson was terrifying. Winch launched glider, it was beyond what I expected. I had a death grip on the frame (canvas glider, metal frame). Second one was almost as bad. Back to back launches and then about a 30 minute break to the next two flights. Between the two sets I decided if I wanted to become a pilot I had to get over this fear. By the end of the course I had the instructors nervous about how aggressive I was fighting for alititude on the launch.

Most of us don't get it in for the money, we do it to fly. Doing what's fun for you makes work easy.

You probably need 5,000 - 7,5000 hrs, in today's market, to reach the 50% experience level of major airline pilots with commercial pilot backgrounds. If you hustle you can get that by about 25 yrs old(5,000 hrs). With this path you can get your degree part time as long as you have it by about 24-25 yrs old(or about when you have a chance of getting hired by a major airline).

^^ This is close to the 'no life' option. Working full time and college full time, or almost full time. The payoff is a better airline career. Many have done it so it's not impossible.

The tough part is if you get on the hard core pilot treadmill how do you get your degree? In today's market it's a must. Will be a must in tomorrow's market? Maybe, maybe not. It's safer to get your degree vs. hoping the market shifts in your direction if you don't get a degree. And the degree can be used a fallback option if you have medical problems. Many have needed a fallback option. Many of us have had moments where we wondered if our flying careers were over due to medical issues.

Another excellent route is to join the Air National Guard. If you read the various military/reserve threads the ANG is typically considered the #1 choice for various reasons. If that's the path you choose getting your degree ASAP is best. The more flying experience you have prior to applying to the ANG the more competitive you'll be. But it's not just your flying resume so don't think "the most time wins." Flying experience will be just one part of the overall competitive process the unit uses to select their candidates.