Old 12-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Indyflyin
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
At your age, you really ought to look at a ANG or AFRC pilot training slot--it's the easiest way to slide into an airline career and serve your country. The networking, training and experience will be invaluable, absolutely no price can be put on it. Don't worry about not getting a UPT position, if you don't you will be discharged. By going to a UE unit you can select your mission and plane, too. Yes, the unit mission can change, but much of the turmoil is winding down. My old unit is already slated for KC-46s. Parents can have an opinion, but it's your life.

As to risk, life is full of it especially if you fly. You need to confirm your medical in any case.

An example of networking, when EAL folded in '89; a couple of phone calls and I had a new career. When military retirement was coming, a phone call to a former squadron member, I had a job flying a Global.

GF
I will definitely look into the military side more now. I didn't realize you will be discharged if you don't get your position. This seems like a really viable option now. How many hours did you build up when you were in the Air Force? Is that a normal number of hours? Also, before the Air Force, did you have to go through training and how long did it take? Also, did you need a college degree specific to aviation and will the Air Force pay for it?