Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 09:19 AM
PotatoChip
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
Probably not an exact fit for TOTD, but I dunno where else to put it.

Day before yesterday at DCA, I'm in cockpit getting ready to go when I hear a loud crash/bang noise. I look up and about 50 yards in front of me is a baggage cart tilting down in front (with associated scattered bags on the ground) because it has no front wheels anymore. I then see the tractor that had been pulling it still going at full speed heading for my aircraft with only the front cart axle still attached with associated pieces of undercarriage dragging behind creating a shower of sparks. How the hell I could hear that in the cockpit with an APU running and he couldn't I don't know. Eager to see the look on the guys face when he stops at the cargo hold, I jumped out of my seat, yelled for the FA to look and got my head out the main cabin door. There he stood, arms down at his side, facing where the cart should have been but finding only the front axle and part of the undercarriage. The confused look on his face was priceless. If it makes me a tool for laughing hysterically at him (or him for not checking on a loud bang RIGHT BEHIND HIM) then I'll just nominate myself for TOTD. We also got to send an ACARS msg. noting that we were late due to: "catastrophic structural failure of the baggage cart and ensuing hilarity".
Hahaha...first class equipment and first class individuals on the DCA ramp! I still remember the 340lb (+\- 30lbs), dreadlocked black dude who had a vest that said, "I AM Barack Obama!" on the back.

Riiiiight...