View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Carlos Abundis
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Default My NC Speaks for Me. I voted YES.

I haven’t posted a lot on this subject, but I think it’s time to state my position on this LOA.

I’ve voted “yes” and I think you should, too. If you haven’t decided yet or have already voted “no,” you should carefully consider the statements from the MEC, negotiating committee, and the recent letter from JL. These are serious people and you should take their statements seriously.

There has been a lot of speculation about what a no-vote on this LOA would mean. Maybe, some think, we could get the company back to the table to give us…what? An extra thousand or two a month? Subsidized education for our kids? A car with a bilingual driver? No STV?

However you feel about those issues, I think the letter we got from JL should clear up any ambiguity: 1.) There will be no return to the table before the next CBA. 2.) The company is willing to man these domiciles with junior pilots on our seniority list, even if they have to commute. Our elected ALPA representatives know these things, and they have been trying to get the message to us, but some among us have chosen not to listen. Maybe we're sore about Age 60. Maybe we're tired of the cast of characters at FedEx ALPA. Maybe we just feel better if we can complain anonymously (as I'm doing).

Our company hires awesome pilots, and nearly all of our new hires (including, yes, 727 second officers who are on probation and can’t even vote yet) are more than capable of operating our aircraft safely and efficiently AS CAPTAINS. If you don’t think we could man our foreign domiciles without this agreement, just watch. Some will live in domicile, and some would commute, but these domiciles will happen.

In the end, it comes down to two things for me. 1.) I don’t want to take money off the table for those pilots who want to take advantage of the opportunity to man these foreign domiciles. 2.) Now is the time to accept the improvements in scope and make it as likely as possible that our business grows with OUR PILOTS - not contract foreign pilots - at the controls; on our next CBA, we can use our experience and leverage to make up for actual deficiencies.

OK, I lie. Make it three things. The third thing is the credibility of this crew force to bargain effectively with the company through its elected representatives. The sentiments I’ve read on this discussion board, if allowed to prevail, will seriously undermine our credibility in future negotiations because it will be apparent that we’re a pilot group that can’t be led by reasonable people.

As for me, My Negotiation Committee Speaks for Me. I voted YES.