Thread: Union Question?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 01:47 PM
stickwiggler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Part 121, 135 & Military background

If Sky1 and Old dawg are being genuine about the aircraft they fly (no offense gentlemen but there is an a$$load of posers on here) then it is not by intent to insult them.........but in my experience they could not be more wrong!

I (unfortunately) have personal experience in this one. I broke a rule and after weeks of suspension and the Chief Pilots almost hammering out a deal, a DO got a chubby and I got axed. Two years later I was back. Here's how it works.

1.The company makes a decision. termination

2. The union files a grievance. at the 3 to 6 month point the union ask the company "are you sure" to which the company will always say "yes"

3. Then the grievance is given the next step up which is basically "are you really sure?" again the company will say "yep, we're sure"

4. Then it goes to arbitration and the arbitrator is assigned, it's no longer dealt with in a group thing, and it is handled as an isolated event. the company lawyer and leadership will go to the table with the union leadership and union lawyers. one of two things happens. Everyone makes a deal, or both sides present their case. The arbitrator decides.

In my case we made a deal, I came back, kept my seniority, did a little double secret probation in the right seat, and I am now holding weekends off on our biggest equipment and my chief pilots think I'm doing a bang up job (especially on my landings!)

I will tell you that if you are not getting any response from your union, and you got fired for this isolated event, that may not speak well of how the company and union viewed you as a person. I don't know you, but that is a possibilty to consider.

What's important is that at every step of the way, you're union should be comunicating with you, assigning you counsel, and your lawyer and you should be talking often. If this is not the case, then you should sue your union first.

ALPA and my appointed ALPA attorney did a good job in my case and I'm forever in their debt.

It's embarrassing to admit to all of this, but I feel like if swallowing a little pride can help out a fellow aviator (and fellow bonehead) then it's worth the price.

Stick