View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Try Harder

Originally Posted by blastboy View Post
Maybe the other 75-80% don't want it as bad as the next guy. If you want something and you work hard for it, by golly you'll get it. I've gotten everything I've wanted through hard work and perserverance. My goal is to be at AAL within 6 years, based in MIA. If AAL is hiring at that time, I'll be there and I will get the job. Whatever it takes, I'll get the job.
It is false to think that if you "try harder" that it will make that much of a difference. That logic works in school, sports and maybe with getting girls however when it comes to the major airlines the outcome is almost totally out of your control.

Most of what makes a difference in pilot career advancement comes from the decisions of other people and events that have nothing to do with you or your efforts. Upgrade, furlough and hiring trends are three of the biggest factors. Lets not forget medical issues, FAA actions, previous employers and terrorist attacks. Any of these things can sneak up behind you and snuff your dreams.

Right now someplace in America there is a 23 year old kid who is upgrading in the RJ as a captain. If that isn't you then you are already at a competitive disadvantage. I am not saying that you shouldn't try just that it is false to think that your efforts alone will have the largest effect on the outcome of your career.

Heck in 5 years there might not even be an AAL in existence anymore.

SKyHigh