Old 07-30-2007, 05:43 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Point

Originally Posted by Bucking Bar View Post
Sky High,

That is not how it really works. At all the airlines I have applied to (Delta, FedEx, AirTran & ASA) the process was roughly the same. The first step was exceeding the minimum qualifications. The second was rounding up your contacts and finding the right person to push your paperwork forward to the right manager. The third was preparation and practice for the interview that made your competence and willingness to serve stand out.

Age is much less of an issue that it once was. Airlines understand that young pilots will someday be senior captains earning maximum longevity pay for a long time. At ASA, we were told that management actually wanted pilots to leave after about 5 years so they could avoid paying the big money at the upper end of our longevity. There are a handful $140,000 a year RJ pilots walking around who still have 25 years left.

You are correct to point out the risks of betting on a future job to these guys. They could get "lucky" like the Delta, NorthWest, United, American, MidWay and TWA guys got lucky at the end of the last cycle. A furlough is a heck of a way to flush 7 years.

I think many pilots are staying out of the business because they look around and see that half of the flying is being done by contract carriers with little job security. Flying is such an investment that it is difficult to rationalize the sacrifice necessary to get the brass ring.

Bucking Bar
My point is that in the cometitiveness of the hiring pool if all things are equil a guy who has 121 jet PIC will previal over most else in the civilian world. Though there isn't a hiring proference towards younger pilots it sure looks better to be a 28 year old RJ captain than a 48 year old one.

Everyone knows that the younger guy will complain less and will be able to flirt with the HR girls. Besides all that what grown up would want to start over at middle age at a legacy airline that most likely will furlough them a few years later anyway?

I believe that in the near future these wonder kids will be upgrading in part 121 jets and most everything else will be deemed worthless. Minimums at the majors will move towards 2000 part 121 Jet PIC.

I watched as single pilot IFR MEL piston time became worthless. Soon MEL turbine will be disregarded as well.

SkyHigh