Thread: ?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 04:39 AM
Chris516
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Default ?

I am not a pilot, nor could I ever get a pilot's license because of physical health problems.

But I have a question for pilots'. Specifically in relation to commercial air travel. It is more of an opinion request.

My physical health problems include epilepsy. My seizures are completely under control. So here is the reason for my question.

If I am a passenger on a passenger plane, and the steward/ess starts yelling over the PA in the plane. For anyone that knows how to fly a plane because something incapacitating both the pilot and first officer. Regardless of the fact that I have not had any formal flight training and, even if no other passenger stands up. Should I not stand up, because of my epilepsy.

I understand how planes fly.

1. When a plane inclines(nose-up attitude), just like a car. It slows down. When it declines(nose-down attitude) it picks up speed.

2. The air and engine power are inversely proportional to eachother i.e. thinner air allows for greater engine performance. But also means a loss of lift. Whereas, Thicker air means poorer engine performance while greater lift.

3. If the plane decompresses for some reason. Below 10,000ft., won't require the oxygen masks.

4. A passenger plane is not like a military combat aircraft. So, It can't climb vertically, fly upside down, do barrel rolls, or fly as fast.

5. The power a plane is putting out. Is controlled by the thrust levers. On landing a plane has to decrease thrust, to keep from running off the runway. In much the same way, that a car has to slow down for a turn on a public road.

6. Changing direction, by incline/decline is 'affected' by pulling back/pushing forward on the control column. Changing direction by turn/bank is by the turn of the wheel. Just like a car.

7. Planes with four engines, can still fly on three. A plane with three engines can fly on two. A plane with two engines can fly on one engine. In every situation it means increasing the power on the remaining engines, to account for the one engine that is 'out of order' and shut down.

8. Re-directing the fuel for the shutdown engine. To the remaining engine(s) via a cross-feed valve.

9. The lowering of the wheels prior to landing and the raising(flaring) of the plane's nose during landing. Along with flaps amd brakes. Are all meant to help slow the plane down during landing.

10. 250mph is too fast to land(the plane could run off the runway and/or the landing gear could collapse from the speed). 150mph is correct.

So, Despite knowing all that. Even if a steward/ess requests' help. I should ignore them because of my epilepsy, like people with disabilities can't be in the military?