View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 02:29 PM
DLax85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey

Originally Posted by machz990 View Post
On face value I'm not sure I want to see this either. Maybe someone could explain how this works without undermining the reserve system and seniority.

I flew with a senior Captain recently who expressed concern that junior guys are bidding carry-over reserve lines and then conflicting with another reserve line to allow them to pick up CIC trips which, as most realize, are awarded before Open Time is released or VTO lines are built. Current rules allow this so you can't fault anyone for doing it but the Captain was concerned that very senior trips were getting picked up by very junior guys out of seniority.

Please don't shoot the messenger! I am high enough on the F/O list that I haven't bid reserve in10 years.
But, weren't the trips originally awarded based on seniority, and then the person awarded the trip chose to drop them for some reason --- i.e. vacation, training, etc.

Once in "Open Time" senior guys don't have any advantage in picking up trips do they?

Also, if this really works, don't senior guys have first choice in applying this approach to bidding their monthly schedules --- meaning they can bid a straight line, reserve or VTO?