View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Kepi
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2013

The following is an explanation from the investigator when I asked him about the propeller damage with regard to it
being powered on impact and the discrepancy of his findings with the NTSB.

"The propeller did show some evidence of rotation but I would not categorize the damage as indicative of significant power. One blade is fairly straight, one is bent forward and the third was fractured. I would doubt that the engine would still run once the PT wheel fails. But the propeller could very well still rotate as it would “windmill” from the air flowing over it. So the damage that I see and the NTSB is commenting on is more likely from a windmilling propeller than from the engine operating at impact. The fact that we don’t have any turbine blades with the engine is telling. It is also telling that we don’t see any kind of torque wrinkle in the exhaust duct as is typical in a PT6 when the engine impacts terrain under power. We also don’t see any evidence of rotational contact of the axial impeller with the impeller shroud. When the engine is operating, those two components will show significant rub when the engine hits the ground under power.

Unfortunately, the NTSB just parrots whatever the manufacturer tells them. And the manufacturer does everything in its power to alleviate itself of all responsibility and tells the NTSB that every crash is all due to pilot error. It is a travesty that our government operates this way and we have tried very hard to reverse this process but so far to no avail."

This investigator's references showed he was trained at the NTSB Academy as I have included below:

NTSB Academy, Washington DC, Aircraft Accident Investigator Training
Program. Training included: Accident Investigation, Failure Analysis of
Airframes and Engines, Mid-air Collisions, In-flight Breakups, Fault Tree
Analysis, Piston and Turbine Engine Failures, Pre and Post impact Fire
Analysis, Metallurgy, Pathology, Biomedics, Crash Survivability, Aircraft
Performance, Impact Kinematics, Propeller Analysis, Aviation Weather,
Aircraft Maintenance, and many others.

I believe him and the pictures. Like I said, he is mailing me the disk with all of the pictures. Does anyone believe me now?