Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 AM
DMEarc
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 737 Left

Originally Posted by CTPropGuy View Post
Hey Guys and Gals - I would appreciate getting opinions from the many regional pilots on this board, especially those with families and any career changers. I keep reading about 18K pilots needed at the majors in the next 8 years, sign-on bonuses at the regionals, flows with Piedmont and Commutair and am very tempted to make the leap into professional flying. I have my age working against me (42) and I still need 700 hours to hit ATP requirements. I have my CFI, CFII, MEI and am confident I could get the 700 hours this year. I've spend the last 18 years in cubicle hell and am burned out from it, but have a great schedule that allows me a great deal of time with my family.

My questions - I realize training and the first year or so will be difficult schedule wise, but does it get better after that, at say an airline like Piedmont, Skywest, CommutAir etc? Are 3 days on/4 days off schedules a realistic thing for a line holder? This is assuming moving to the base that gets assigned. Will the majors really be hiring like crazy the next 10 years? If the flows are real, and your goal is a major, why bother applying to another regional, assuming one of the flow ones picks you up?

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm trying to make the right decision regarding a long overdo career change and this seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity to join the professional pilot ranks.
The schedule will get better...marginally. Until you upgrade...then worse....then better, then as a new hire at a major it will be bad again...become senior....change airplanes....cycle starts again.

With such a great QOL and schedule - I would never take the jump into professional flying. I love my job, but at the end of the day I just want to be home with my family.

With that all being said - talk it over with your family. It's going to be harder on them than it will be on you, for sure. If at the end of the conversation you still can't see yourself doing anything else, then go for it.
Good luck!