Old 01-28-2016, 07:00 PM
Skyler02
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014

Originally Posted by CTPropGuy View Post
I have my age working against me (42) and I still need 700 hours to hit ATP requirements. I have my CFI, CFII, MEI and am confident I could get the 700 hours this year. I've spend the last 18 years in cubicle hell and am burned out from it, but have a great schedule that allows me a great deal of time with my family.

Will the majors really be hiring like crazy the next 10 years?

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm trying to make the right decision regarding a long overdo career change and this seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity to join the professional pilot ranks.
Do it! If you're family life can handle the schedule and if your finances can handle low pay for a couple of years, just do it.

Your age is not working against you. You had a successful career and now you can get reinvigorated and have another successful career. If you are burned out in your current position, imagine how you will feel if you are still in that position in 5 years. 8 years. 10 years. You still have 20+ years to give to a flying career.

You will be surprised in your new hire class that you won't be the 'old guy'. You will be right in the middle of the pack with a bunch of other guys that have been waiting for this opportunity.

Yes, the major airlines are on the verge of major hiring. And there is no end in sight.

I am a career changer and this job rocks (despite its well documented challenges - pay, schedules, commuting).

Just do it. Live your life with no regrets.