Thread: Active Duty vs Reserve

TKOwnedU5 , 01-29-2016 07:47 AM
Line Holder
TKOwnedU5
Line Holder
close
  • Joined APC
    May 2015
Quote: It would change how much you would get each month in your retirement as you would probably have significantly more points, but wouldn't change you getting them at age 60.

PMing Mike was a joke. You'll get good advice, but it will be brutally honest.

Reserve or Active, you're going to be a military pilot, you should first figure out if that's for you.

It isn't particularly easy to get picked up as a pilot, active or reserve. It will take a lot of work on your part, which you should get moving on. Most likely, getting picked up as an off the street guy by a reserve unit would be much harder than getting an an active duty slot.

Other than that, you haven't given enough info to get usable advice. How old are you? College? Flying experience? Can you pass a military flight physical?

I'm 21 years old and finishing up my bachelors in Business Administration by next May. I'm currently working on my PPL. I will be buying study guides for all the tests here soon, AFOQT, BAT, Etc. After reviewing the requirements to pass a military flight physical I feel I should be fine there.

My dad worked in special ops under the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff for 20 years. He said he's going to try and get a hold of him and see if I could receive a letter of recommendation from him.

Other than that, I haven't gotten much farther. My main focus is to finish up school first. I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can, so I can make an educated decision when that time comes if I'm offered a slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk