View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 03:49 PM
higney85
Property of Scheduling

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Bus driver

Originally Posted by HeyOneTaco View Post
I just can't comprehend how 1250 more hours of instructing in a 172 makes you more fit for the role of an FO.

1) Aircraft weight and speeds are vastly different.
2) You are not acting as a crew. As the CFI you are instructing not working together.
3) Zero high altitude experience
4) Zero advanced systems experience

The list goes on. The requirements should be quality over quantity with the bare minimum being a high requirement like 1500.

You should get a credit for quality of time. Total time drops with time in multi/turbine aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe a different viewpoint for the thread. 1500 isn't time needed to fly the airplane or know the systems. 1500 is a "magic" number hoping to capture actual experience making decisions. Realizing, "this is a bad situation" and afterwards not just saying "never again" but taking a look at the ingredients and logging into the logbook not just the time but understanding of how a situation became unsafe.

When I upgraded, I was the junior guy on reserve. That by luck/default/reality had me flying with brand new FO's. Flying the plane wasn't the issue, but sure some mentoring went on when a guy was completely green in a jet, but the bigger thing noticed was decision making and ability to deal with multiple things at once when things went south. That only comes from experience. Is 1500 the answer? Maybe, for some. Some would be great at 250,500,750,1000....4,000? I would agree with the idea of quality vs quantity, but in both aspects the decision making is the big ticket item in terms of time. By 250 hours, a pilot has shown they can (in theory) fly the plane. In 8 weeks of ground school systems should be understood. It's putting it all together to become an asset of safety to also encompass judgement and decision making, that is the key.