View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Chupacabras
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013

Originally Posted by HeyOneTaco View Post
I just can't comprehend how 1250 more hours of instructing in a 172 makes you more fit for the role of an FO.

1) Aircraft weight and speeds are vastly different.
2) You are not acting as a crew. As the CFI you are instructing not working together.
3) Zero high altitude experience
4) Zero advanced systems experience

The list goes on. The requirements should be quality over quantity with the bare minimum being a high requirement like 1500.

You should get a credit for quality of time. Total time drops with time in multi/turbine aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The difference is that an instructor has a much better understanding of aerodynamics and the "foundation" of flying than a 250 hr. pilot. As someone who was never an instructor, but did have a few thousand hrs. prior to being hired, I can tell you that building a foundation prior to the airlines makes you a much better pilot than not. Airline pilots learn to fly a profile and really stop learning anything other than airline flying. When the crap hits the fan, the 250 hr wonders usually don't save the day. Look at the colgan crash, that captain was hired with around 500 hrs TT and stalled his airplane and was not able to recover. Perhaps 1000 more hrs of instructing would have given him the ability to break the stall. The Air france crash in south america-again a 300 hr-wonder-kid-hire at the controls. The airplane had a series of failure and an experience pilot was needed to save the day-yet he pulled the airplane into a 7000 fpm climb, stalled the plane, and kept it stalled all the way down to the ocean.

The 4 things you list can all be taught during airline training, but the basics need to be solid before you go to work for an airline.