View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 03:56 PM
feltf4
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by aewanabe View Post
There's a lot of legitimacy to this concern. A couple other guys on here have posted glowing reviews of the ergonomics, which are probably accurate if your reference point is a 145 or turboprop. The overhead panel and systems operations are dirt-simple, and the Epic FMS architecture is very user-friendly. After that, my laundry list of issues:

It's a loud jet. At B6 we have ANC Sennheiser headsets which use ship's power; they are nice but clamp your head as part of the system. On the 320 most guys are headsets off every leg at FL180; try that in the 190 and you'll be deaf in 6 months. Anecdotally the 73ng cockpit seemed quite a bit quieter when I've been in the Jumpseat. And that jumpseater in the 190 will be right in your lap btw... At least it has a hot mic.

The pressurization and climate control stink. The outflow valve slams shut every time the jet transitions between high-stage and low-stage bleeds during a descent, so lots of pressure bumps. The FAs do indeed have control of the cabin but the sensors that work with their panel get clogged so easily the temp cycles between burning and freezing until you take control back in the cockpit. And don't get me started on whomever decided the pack should blow full cold after a bleed-source change....

The autothrottles are great for climb, cruise, and descent (except for TOD at Mach.78 when they'll add power and over speed the jet), and absolutely stink on approach. Think rapid 10 percent N1 changes for 2 knot speed corrections. If the approach procedure didn't require their use I just didn't...

The seats... We're on version four at JetBlue trying to find something that won't wreck everyone's back. Nice self-inflating lumbar cushions as well. Also, anyone who's flown a 120 or 145 knows that the seats are offset from the yoke to make all the cable runs fit in the cockpit. Now sit down in your gently-used, clean-sheet design mostly-FBW jet and tell me why in the @&$"!?$@ the seats are still offset... You WILL sit crooked with your inboard thigh half off the cushion in a few hours.

No boards below 180 kts or with greater than flaps 1, and above 3/4 deflection they shake the heck out of the tail with zero appreciable added effect. And the anti-ice system is all-or-nothing and automatically activated; it's entertaining trying to figure out how the heck you're gonna get down and slow down with the engines and wings on and the associated power bump.

Having said all that the jet has provided 1000 jobs at B6 which would otherwise be at Republic et al, and it's a great ride in the back as long as you bring a sweater or pullover. Always good to see more jobs in a jet that weighs 114k pounds and can fly 2400 miles come back to mainline. My perspective is with 3500 hours in both seats of the jet, FYI.
We need AT for approaches??? New to me