Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 07:56 PM
own nav
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by vadermonkey View Post
can you explain the schedule/daily life? how does the outstation run work? is it a decent quality of life? also is SLC a decent base?
Most runs are of the UPS variety. In SLC you show up at 5 or 530, fly to your outstation, spend the day there and return home to be off the clock around 1930 assuming there are no delays.

5 days a week, most of my career has had a reserve day once a week, with the exception of this past year where we have been short staffed. Reserve is nice because you get a full day pay and get to go home early if they don't have anyone call in sick or have work for you to do otherwise. I'm optimistic we will be getting reserve days again soon.

SLC has no outstation based runs. Many in the Central time zone in particular do. If you live at the outstation it is typically Monday night to Saturday morning. You spend your days and weekends at home, and 5 nights a week at the company apartment in base.

A lot of different opinions, I will leave others to discuss whether it is desirable or not. There are a few of us in SLC that have been around since before the recession began. Seattle is also a very popular base for those who don't mind sticking around longer.