Thread: UPS Interview
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 05:28 PM
McBoeingBus
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: Relaxing

I'm a little curious as to why you are looking at UPS. Do you want to live in SDF, ONT or ANC? Otherwise, you may want consider another airline/cargo hauler. I agree with previous comments that 06-07, particularly late 07, hires have not enjoyed the best progress or lifestyle. I have several friends who took an unpaid vacation for up to 4 years. So, furlough is a real possibility that would have been previously discounted. UPS peaked around 3000 before the age 65 regulation passed. Today UPS is around 2550. It is true that airlines with FEs were more impacted than those without and I know that 3 types were retired in a few years, but UPS has shrunk. It will be a dozen or so years to see 1/2 of the list retired, but that assumes no changes to the size of the airline or increases to retirement age. It's a fact that cargo carriers deliver on time, planes, trains or trucks are equally suitable as long as it gets there when its suppose to. You nor I will tolerate a bus when we've bought an airline ticket. Cargo carriers are more likely to see service alternatives than passenger carriers.

UPS and FedEx are the only ones left with an "A" Plan, but the legacy airlines are paying healthy 401s and profit sharing in some cases. Of all of the majors UPS has a laughable first year's pay and isn't significantly different in the second year.

Take the first job you get offered, but look long and hard at the best choice; ideal city, routes and seniority progression. If you do get hired at UPS and make it to the second or third year pay, well, departing will be more difficult. If you are looking for a management job at UPS, that's a completely different set of questions. Good luck either way.

MBB