Old 02-08-2016, 08:39 AM
AdiosMikeFox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: Feito no Brasil, CA

It will change depending on the airline, your seniority, the equipment, base, commute and the temperature of a moose's nose in January while facing north in the snow on a Tuesday.

I've had 4/1/5/2/4/3, On/off respectively. I've also had 3/4 on off for months and had a stretch of 6 days off in there, too. Schedules have gone to crap at my airline. Others fare better.

Generally you will always do better if you live in base. A commute is nothing but stress, more days gone, cash and time out of your pocket. Irreplaceable time. This is big stress on your family. Stuff always breaks when you're gone. The kid will get sick. It'll dump snow. Whatever. Your other half will be stuck dealing with it solo. It's going to take a strong relationship to deal with that. Don't forget missing almost all holidays while you're junior. Missing all weekend events because you won't be able to hold weekends off. I've been at my airlien for a decade+ and still can't hold holidays/weekends. Missing the kid's birthdays for the same reason. Then the occasional missed commutes home because of weather or getting done too late because of some hub airport's desire to slap a rolling 1 hour EDCT/Ground stop combo on your last leg/last day because someone saw a puffy cloud in the sky.

Decide against being a regional pilot yet?

This doesn't happen every day, every trip or every month. But you really feel it when it does happen.

Live in base if you can. That's worth a LOT. Then hope they don't close the base.

Even after all that, I really like doing what I do. It'd be difficult to do anything else. If you can't say that, this aviation life will be really hard to deal with.