View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 01:50 AM
cac737
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: B747
Hey buddy, I remember being less marketable than you and I was fortunate to have met the right people at the right time and went from a baron to a Citation. Now, it wasn't just luck, it took alot of work on my part to make this happen. 1 door out of 15 knocked on opened for me. You sound like you are pro-active and it's those people that get advanced more than those that just sit back.
Someone on here mentioned your long term goals and that is crucial. If you would like to work for a major one day it would be in your benefit to get your arse to a regional. You will build time much more quickly than a typical charter or corporate outfit. The pay may suck, but if you want that time quicker the good news is that if you are willing to fly more then you can help offset your low starting pay with overtime. Not the ideal situation, but unfortunately when you are starting out in this industry you just have to pay your dues and hold on to your goals (dreams).

If you think you hear rumors and innuendo at your current job, multiply that by 100 and that is what you'll get at any regional. Both good and bad, but at the end of the day what matters most is why you are doing what you are doing. (your goals/dreams)

That is my biggest advice. If you seek nothing more than pay or prestige, save yourself countless frustrations and seek a new career. If you got bit by the bug and just plain love to fly, then welcome aboard.
Now, before anyone gets the wrong idea, im not saying that the current bar is acceptable or that i am happy with current pay....IM NOT!!!
However, if money alone is at the top of your wish list, then history will prove that your "balloon" is subject to being popped more often over your career than would make anyone happy, and will only serve to make you miserable.
There are plenty of heavy captains out there that I have seen just beat down, miserable and flying is just a job for them now. They all share one thing: they came in when it was still their dad's airline and have always held onto that and still want it to be that. Well we all know that this aint "your daddy's airline industry".
These are some of the best sticks and people in general, but I just hated to see them the way they are, and would just warn people off of aviation just in case they bought into any one of the ads that showed a happy picture perfect fo in the right seat with the caption "zero time to right seat in 1 month".....it isnt that rosy......but if your intentions are in the right place, then I can opine on here that it is one of the most rewarding experiences that you can have and share!!!

hope this helps......