Thread: Starting Out
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by CoffeePilot View Post
Can anyone give me an assurance that along the line I will paid well?
.. assurance that I will not regret this career path.
Can anyone lay out for me what y'all think my future would look like
No...No....and.....No

No one can offer what you ask for anyone's career choice, especially this one. Some aviation jobs pay well, many more do not. Most pilots start with the passion you profess for this line of work. Some keep it, some get it beat out of them. You say you're getting into this for passion....but then....pssst..."will I actually get paid well in case I start realizing passion don't pay the bills."

Sooner or later, reality will set in. Wife, kids, college, life all cost money and you'll need some. Some pilots are content finding a steady job with average pay and a schedule that allows them to have a life outside of aviation. Others have to be at the top of the pay scale and are content to sacrifice all else to get there. Only you know where your goals really are (and those may change as you continue).

It's going to take you many years and lots of work to attain the qualification required to have a chance at making good money as a professional pilot. Once you have the experience and quals, whether you can land your dream job (or even just a reasonable job) is going to depend on cycles in the industry, your networking ability, your resume, some timing and even luck. Hopefully along the way, you maintain your health and don't encounter some obstacle that makes it impossible to keep your medical. Sooner or later, you'll need to balance the "I'd do this job for free" attitude with an understanding that reaching the top of this profession demands a paycheck commensurate with the skills, experience, responsibility and personal sacrifice that go along with it. I think your attitude about pay might change when the bills for that school start coming due.

Good luck.