View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 11:29 AM
UCLAbruins
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550

Originally Posted by NJA Capt View Post
As a matter of fact I have. I flew piston/turbine twins for a charter operation and they wanted a contract before they would upgrade me into a jet. I said no thanks, I'll stay put. A few months later I was at EJA. There is no way I'd take a 50% pay cut to fly for a regional. I'd rather fly a Baron for 40K than an RJ for 20K.

You didn't say how much instrument time you had. Depending on how close you are, I'd stay put and apply straight to NJA or a major. There are plenty of people hired at NJA with "0" turbine time. There are also a lot turned down with 20,000 hours of EFIS/heavy jet time.
If I was a young guy, I would never do such a thing, unless I had to (wife, kids, house). If you are a young guy, just bite the bullet, and go to a regioanl, even with the 50% pay cut. Its an investment for latter in life. The majors, NJ, Flexjet hire people without turbine time, but keep in mind that they are the exception. Play it safe, get the turbine-time, jet would be best, and but turbo-prop will work.