View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 10:10 PM
sandrich
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

While I'm definitely not about to make a career decision based on the opinions of those on an Internet forum, I'm looking for a sort of "what would you do scenario."

Background-
4000hrs, turboprop and RJ driver for 3.5 years. Currently flying heavy intl cargo. The end goal is United. 7 internals including check airmen and chief pilots. 0 TPIC. 27yo. Live just over an hour drive from EWR. 1 career fair with more planned this year. 4 year degree.

Options-
1)stay put: -won't be getting PIC. Although I may be looking at an upgrade in 2-3 years. I also don't want to be doing this long-haul crap working 18 days straight any longer than I have to. Currently at Southern/soon-to-be Atlas.
2)go to C5 with the CPP: -could maybe get on with United before my flow date, but would they want to take someone in 1-2 years who has a guaranteed job in 3-4?
3)go to C5 without CPP: -if I can't get on early, I'm stuck at C5 without a flow
(Both 2 and 3 also pose the risk that the quick upgrade many are experiencing could no longer be happening in a few months once the senior FOs get their SIC time)
4)marry someone rich

I know it hasn't happened, but does anyone happen to know the protocol for being in the CPP and getting picked up early. Do you have to re-hogan and re-interview since you're now off-the-street?

For what it's worth, while there are guys getting hired with less-than-stellar resumes like mine, I fully realize there's plenty of guys with perfect ones that aren't. Yet, a United CP at a meet-and-greet and their head recruiter at a career fair both told me that chasing PIC time is a bad move and that I should "stay put" and just wait it out... I feel like this answers all my questions, but what do you guys think?

Last edited by sandrich; 02-14-2016 at 10:53 PM.