View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 06:42 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
Anyone with the basic opportunity to be a pilot could do much better in other endeavors. If all you want to do is fly then by all means be a pilot. Aviation seldom provides an average return on investment. The partitions are high around any good job.
"Basic opportunity" does not equate to capability, options or opportunity, skills, training or background, means, or anything other aspect of doing much better in other endeavors. It's also thoroughly without context.

Do you mean to say that one who has a "basic opportunity" in aviation has an opportunity to make more money in another endeavor, or to progress farther in another endeavor, or some other standard of "better?" What is a "basic opportunity?" A first job? The money to pay for training?

It's difficult for aviation not to provide a return on an investment. Spend fifty or sixty grand on flight training, and after you've made fifty or sixty grand from flying, everything thereafter is return on investment.

My brother is a professional. He owns two practices. He hasn't enjoyed the same disposable income or as much time off as I have. he enjoys his work just as I enjoy mine. We don't compare incomes. My opportunities in aviation don't give me opportunities in his line or work, and he's unable to come do my job.

We both came from extremely humble circumstances. We can both look at where we've been, see where we are, and sleep at night. I wouldn't go back and change a thing. Neither would he.

Those who have no desire to remain in aviation should find other work. If it's not for you, it's not for you. No shame in it. Move on. Find something else.

In the meantime, end the blame game, take personal responsibility. It's part of being an adult.