Thread: ALPA
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 07:06 AM
aa73
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

With the new threats facing the US pilot groups on the horizon (ME3), now is the time for ALL pilots groups to join ALPA and band together. The stronger ALPA is, the more effective they can fight what's headed our way.

Also, APA has a long history of sub standard contracts compared to the other two big dogs, UAL and DAL. We keep hoping next time will be different, only to be disappointed yet again. And yes, we have elected "strong leaders" who promised it would be different. But it never is. I want a union that will have the resources an assets to assist in delivering a dal/UAL-style contract.

APA will always be about protecting jobs at the expense of better work rules. That is why we will never get an ILC. It's in their DNA. That's why they agreed to B scales which started the downward spiral in our profession.

The reasons APA left ALPA back in 1963 all basically amounted to a personality conflict between Gene Seal (AAL MEC chairman) and Clancy Sayen, ALPA president. Please... That's what we're basing our refusal to join today... over 50 years later? Gee, ya think some stuff has maybe changed since then? Claiming that AA should not go back to ALPA due to events that happened back in 1963 is, well....very Sky-Naazish and accurately describes the AA Pilot mentality: if we did it that way in 1963, by golly it's the best way today.

In other words....heads buried in the sand while mumbling, our way is the best way.

ALPA will not magically fix our problems. But with the proof that DaL and UAL continuously spank us again and again every contract, we owe it to ourselves to explore this option. Do we really want to continue on with APA failing us again and again expecting different results? That's the definition of insanity I believe...

We've been trying to fix APA for decades now. Never works.

The membership drives the union. And if we switch back to ALPA, it is my belief that our membership will have a fresh start and be re-energized, ready to stand behind them. Currently, our membership is so split and disillusioned with APA that they have no will to fight.

Also, airline management absolutely LOVES dealing with independent in-house unions: they are always limited in how much they can get. Airline management would much rather face an independent in-house rather than a powerful national union that has the connections and support of thousands of airline pilots. That's a fact.

Finally - regional ALPA and legacy ALPA are two completely different animals. Legacy ALPA will always cater to those airlines before the regionals. That is why almost all regional ALPA pilots have a bad taste. Legacy ALPA's job is to ensure that the pinnacle of the airline piloting profession - an ILC at a legacy airline - is met first and foremost.

Regarding the argument that ALPA couldn't help financially troubled airline pilot groups - here's a newsflash: NO union could do that. None.

It's time to consider a switch.

I should have an article to post about the benefits of AAL ALPA membership in the next few days addressing these issues.

Last edited by aa73; 02-23-2016 at 07:23 AM.