View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 12:49 PM
machz990
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: 777 CAP

I can't speak for anyone else but renting my home is not an option.

Anyone who can afford to rent a new $600,000 home can afford to buy one hence there is little to no market for a rental at that price point. In my market if you sell and leave the market for 2 years the same home will have increased in price by a minimum of $60,000 and that is very conservative for my area. In fact that is based on the lowest appreciation of 5% and my area has been averaging 6-10% for the past 15 years. No housing bubble here in the midwest.

I decided to go to the horse's mouth for my next bit of research. I called Allied Van Lines and Bekins for estimates to pack, move and store my household goods. The first quote from Allied was based on 16,000 pounds of goods. The second quote from Bekins was based on 12,000 pounds of household goods. This is typical for a 3-4 bedroom fully furnished home according to the poeple I spoke to on the phone. Obviously special situations can apply such as pianos, art, etc.

I called Allied first and here is the estimate based on 16,000 llbs. Unfortunately I didn't get a quote from them to insure the goods while in storage but you will get an idea of those costs from the other quote.

Pack Household Goods - $1800 up to $3000 depending on items to be packed.
Move to local Warehouse - $2000
Storage per month in heated but not cooled warehouse - $480
Insurance - ??

Next call was to Bekins where my education on this process was broadened. This was based on a 12,000 llb move:

Pack Household Goods - $2000 to $3600 depending on items to be packed.
Move to local Warehouse - $1680
One time Warehouse handling/setup fee - $420
Storage per month in heated but not cooled warehouse - $420
Insurance while household goods are being transported - $126
If no other insurance is purchased and warehouse burns down you will be reimbursed for $7200. Additional insurance to bring you up to $18,000 of coverage is $36 per month.

When you get back to the US you reverse the process + whatever rate increases after 2 years and + any additional distance you move your goods out of the local area. Remember these quotes are for a local move and storage.

Total for 2 years at Allied without additional insurance and making the following assumptions: 16,000 llbs, using only $2000 for packing charge so near low end, and you will forgo the unpacking charges and unpack yourself when you get back - $17,520 plus any applicable taxes and insurance.

Total for 2 years at Bekins without additional insurance and again using the low number for packing and you will unpack yourself at the end - $15,860 plus any applicable taxes and insurance.